Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Origin & meanings of names--Vitalline, Febronie, Etienne, Firman, & Freeman?

I was just wondering what the origins of these names are as well as their meanings--I've tried to find the info myself but I haven't had too much luck, especially with the names Vitalline and Febronie. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks.

Origin %26amp; meanings of names--Vitalline, Febronie, Etienne, Firman, %26amp; Freeman?
For the moment all I know is Etienne, which French for Stephen. In French words that originally began with st- as well as sc- and sp- got a vowel 'e' at the beginning. This still happens in Spanish, Catalan, and I think Portuguese and even people from there when speaking any other language. It no longer happens in modern French, but the words with this continue to exist. Also s disappeared centuries ago when preceding a consonant, and so we get Stienne %26gt; Estienne %26gt; Etienne. The loss of the consonant in the middle of the word


corresponding to our -v- is also a general feature of how French evolved. At one time most consonants were lost between two vowels.


No comments:

Post a Comment